I love traveling and even though I do not travel as much as I would love to, I still manage to see a lot of new places every year. There are of course travelers who are way more experienced than me and would have more to say on this topic, but for beginners it would probably be a great start.
My love for traveling probably comes from annual vacations with my parents on Croatian coast since I was just a baby. We always went to another place and never spend the whole week on the beach. Exploring was a necessary part of our holidays. My first real travel was at the end of elementary school, when I went to Ramsgate, UK to improve my English in a language school. I loved it. It was just the best thing that ever happened to me. I met so many new friends, talked with people from other side of the world and see so many amazing things in two weeks. A lot of people then asked me if it was worth to spend money on language school and how many new words I learned. You cannot measure experience like this with how many words I learned for that amount of money. Everything else was more important to me than how my English improved.
Many people wonder how I afford to go places, since I am a student with almost no income. Living in the countryside where everyone knows everyone and everything they do can be a bit annoying. People wonder how and why I travel, but they never ask me.
So here is my answer to them – I can afford to travel because:
- I love traveling and I will find a way to do it
- I don’t go out for a cup(s) of coffee or beer(s) every day
- I save money on things that do not matter that much to me and spend it on things I love – traveling and good food
- I occasionally work.
- I found ways to do it on the budget (Erasmus+ and other similar programs)
- I am not afraid to go to cheaper destinations like Albania or Romania
- I am not staying in expensive hotels and eat in fancy restaurants (I did it few times, but only because it wasn’t really expensive)
- I see beyond the money it costs me to be there. I see the experience.
Everyone who loves traveling (from total beginners to very experienced travelers) will probably tell you the same thing: If you really want it you will definitely find the way to do it. Money is not an obstacle, if anything it’s a challenge.