Imagine yourself for a moment in Spain, strolling the cobblestone streets of Madrid in search of a unique and tasty meal. You spot numerous chic looking restaurants with patrons sitting outside at canvas-tented tables, sipping on wine and engaged in lively conversation. Around a street corner is an establishment resembling a deli that houses rows of dry-cured ham called jamón dangling from the ceiling and next to that it is a trendy fusion take-out place. A little ways down the road you also find a bustling market full of small stalls selling anything from tiny sandwiches to skewers of pickled olives to glasses of sangria. Everything looks delicious, and it can be a bit overwhelming to choose where you want to eat. One solution—which has cultivated a significant rise in food, or “gastronomic” tourism over recent years —is to search for your culinary destinations in Madrid on Instagram.
In the 21st century many aspects of tourism are evolving due to the constant advancement of technology. The way travelers choose where to eat when visiting a new city such as Madrid is no exception. With over 180 million photos posted under the hashtag #food alone at the time of this article’s publication, it is not hard to see why travelers around the world are both inspired by and utilizing this app to enhance their wanderlust experience.
Top Instagram “Foodie” Accounts to Follow in Madrid, Spain
Here are some popular food enthusiasts who use Instagram to map out great drinking and dining locations throughout Madrid.
- @muchbites_madrid: This is the Instagram account of local blogger Wesley Much who is also the creator of the website Muchbites.com. His Instagram account has nearly 9,000 followers and he frequently posts photos and reviews for restaurants, cafes, bars and other eateries from all over the city. Recently, he did an exclusive interview with ROOSTERGNN in which he gives readers advice on the best tapas bars and must-try dishes for young travelers visiting Madrid.
Si nosotros no vamos a Cádiz, que Cádiz venga a nosotros… ¿No os parece? 🍻🍷🍽 ¿ y tú, con quién te tomarías un buen aperitivo en Cádiz este veranito? Una foto publicada por Foodie Lifestyle (@eat_mad) el
- @eat_mad: While all the reviews and notes for this account are posted in Spanish, it houses over 17,000 followers. The Eat Mad Instagram account, as well as the accompanying website eatmad.com, contains a library of good eats and drinks that can be found in Madrid. There is the occasional post that may be from other areas in Spain however, so be sure and check the tags. With this account as your guide, you’re unlikely to ever run short of ideas for your next meal.
You should visit the foodtruck of @awitataberna 😋 👌 There are this little babe and other delicious andalusian streetfood. Enjoy! 😊 #madridfoodguide #mdrdfood #food #yummi #madridfood #madridfoodie #madridfoodies #madrid #madridlover #madridnightlive #madrid #madridfoodie #madridrestaurants #madridrestaurant #foodinmadrid #foodmadrid #foodoftheday #foodstergram #madridinstagram #unlimitedmadrid #igersmadrid #themadridbible #madridmemata #madridmola #foodie #topmadridphoto #foodtruck #andalusian #streetfood #awitataberna
- @madridfoodguide: From the creators behind the relatively new Foodguide app—which is like the Tinder of the food world…swipe right to like; left to discard—this Instagram account tracks and re-posts photos of food that users upload with the hashtags #madridfoodguide and #mdrdfood. It’s a great way to discover the location of your next meal through the reviews of other users.
Cócteles de Luz, la nueva inspiración para tus copas de la mano de Schweppes Ginger Ale 🍹🍹🔝🔝😊😊 @schweppes_es @diegocabrerabar #Madrid #España #GastroMadrid 🔝 #delicious #foodies #foodiesmadrid #foodlovers #foodphoto #foodpic #gastro #gastromadrid #instafood #madridfood #salirmadrid #picturefood #cocteles #cocktail #cocteleria Una foto publicada por Gastro Madrid (@gastro.madrid) el
- @gastro.madrid: Using sharp, visually pleasing photos ranging from colorful arrays of small snacks called pinchos with aesthetically pleasing backgrounds to shot glasses illuminated by the flares of glowing sparklers, this Instagram account makes artwork out of shots of food and drink from all around Madrid. Although this account also uses Spanish only for the captions, with an accompanying blog and plenty of eye-candy to keep your stomach growling, your next meal in Madrid is easy to find.
Using Location and Hashtags on Instagram
Other than following user accounts, there are other ways you can search for and discover great food in Madrid.
Hoy #viernes para los amantes de la #ternera tenemos en nuestro #menudiario #menudeldia #menusandwich 😋😋😋😋 está más que #delicioso 💖 #malasaña #malasañamola #comerenmalasaña #foodie #foodies #food #foodgasm #eatmadrid #madridfood #madrideats #gourmet #Madrid #madrideating #burguers #restaurante #madridrestaurant
- Hashtags: Using Instagram’s hashtag search feature will allow you to see the most recent posts within that category as well as popular posts, Try browsing through the tags: #madrid #eatmadrid #restaurantsmadrid #restaurantesmadrid #madridfoodies #madridfoodtrucks and #madridfood
Una foto publicada por Raul Llauro (@rauldomllau) el
- Places: Instagram also allows users to browse the photos that have been posted on their application by their tagged location. Using this “Places” feature, you can look through pictures of Madrid, specific parts of the city, or even restaurants themselves. In addition, Instagram will conveniently link you to a pin of the location on a map so that you can look up directions.