ROOSTERGNN ARTIST RESIDENCY IN HAVANA AND TRINIDAD, CUBA.
OPEN CALL FOR APPLICATIONS 2018. Full Program.
Limited spots available. Open to all nationalities.
ROOSTERGNN Global News Network (RGNN.org) is accepting applications for its first open call for the ROOSTERGNN ARTIST RESIDENCY in Havana and Trinidad, Cuba, to host Artists-in-Residence in the following disciplines: writers, journalists, bloggers, photographers, filmmakers, videographers, new media artists, graphic designers, visual artists, dancers, actors, musicians and composers.
Every Resident works on a self-directed creative project throughout his or her Residency. Candidates should detail their project proposal in the application form. It is not required that residents finish an entire project during their stay at the Cuba Residency; you can work on a project you have started elsewhere, or work on a project in a brainstorming format and continue to work on it after the program.
Language. The Residency is open to all nationalities and languages. We remind Residents that our attention and communications are conducted exclusively in English or Spanish.
Types of Residents admitted.
Residents will need to provide their own materials to complete their artistic project (e.g. depending on discipline: laptops, cameras, tripods, paints, instruments, etc.) Please make sure that your materials can be transported easily as the Residency takes place in two cities: Havana and Trinidad.
Writers. Applications are open to writers of all literary disciplines: fiction, non-fiction, poetry, short stories, etc. The proposal can be to work on an existing project (e.g. if you are already working on a book) or to complete an entire project during your residency in Cuba (e.g. a collection of poems about Cuba). Texts can be written in all languages.
Journalists and Bloggers. As a news agency, RGNN.org also welcomes journalists and bloggers-in-residence. Proposals can be based around a specific theme, e.g. reporting on current events or around a theme, e.g. art, culture, sports, travel, fashion, style, food, etc. If the Resident is interested in publishing his or her texts on RGNN.org, they must be written in English or Spanish.
Photographers. Photographers can be of all different disciplines, from artistic photography to street photography to photojournalism. Selected works may be published on RGNN.org.
Filmmakers and videographers. Filmmakers of all disciplines are welcome: film, short film, documentary, video, etc. Selected works may be published on RGNN.org.
New Media Artists and Graphic Designers. Applications are open all artists who use new media and/or graphic design to create art.
Visual Artists. Applications are open to visual artists of all disciplines (painting, drawing, sketching, etc.)
Dancers and Actors/Actresses. Applications are open to dancers and actors/actresses. We recommend that those Residents interested in dance take advantage of their stay to be inspired by the salsa culture in Cuba and its varied ethnic dances. Residents interested in the field of theater may also consider attending plays at the Gran Teatro de La Habana, for example.
Musicians and Composers. Applications are open to musicians and composers. The Resident must carry his/her own material (e.g. instrument) to carry out his/her project; we recommend that the dimension of the materials be transportable since the Residency is carried out in two cities: Havana and Trinidad.
Characteristics of the Residency, Facilities & Benefits.
The Residency includes the following:
1. ACCOMMODATION. The Residency Fee includes housing in colonial “boutique” style houses with Cuban host families specifically selected by RGNN in Central Havana and Central Trinidad, with a Cuban family to welcome and attend to them. The accommodation is shared in double rooms (2 individual beds). The rooms, of a colonial style, are spacious and well illuminated, and all of them have their own bathroom and air conditioning. All of the houses moreover have a spacious common area, such as a salon or rooftop terrace, to work on the artistic projects. The entry of persons foreign to the Program (Cubans and non-Cubans) is not permitted in the houses. The sale of alcohol within the houses is also not permitted. RGNN will assign accommodation.
- SUMMER 2018 EDITION: Thirteen (13) nights: six (6) nights in Havana and seven (7) nights in Trinidad.
2. FOOD: HALF-BOARD (BREAKFAST AND LUNCH.)
The Residency Fee includes half-board: breakfast and lunch.
Breakfast. Breakfasts take place at the “boutique” style accommodations in Havana and Trinidad. The breakfasts are ample, and usually include, depending on the house, cheese, ham, bread/sandwich, butter, jam, honey, eggs or omelettes, sweets and desserts, pies, in addition to coffee, tea, milk, juice, for example.
Lunch. Lunches takes place at the “boutique” style accommodations and/or traditional Cuban “paladares” (restaurants) in Havana and Trinidad. On travel days (e.g. the day Residents transfer from Havana to Trinidad), the lunch will include a packed lunch.
3. TRANSPORTATION. The Residency Fee includes the following:
Airport Pick-Up from José Martí International Airport in Havana on July 2, 2018.
Airport Drop-Off from José Martí International Airport in Havana on July 15, 2018.
The departure and arrival of the shared transportation to/from the airport will be communicated to accepted Residents before the start of the Residency.
Transportation Havana-Trinidad-Havana. Residents will transfer as a group from Havana to Trinidad and back to Havana.
4. LOCAL EMERGENCY SUPPORT 24 HOURS.
The Residency has local, bilingual (English and Spanish) emergency support staff available 24 hours a day.
5. ORIENTATION COORDINATOR. The Residency program is supervised by an Orientation Coordinator in charge of the logistics of the Residency and at the Residents’ disposal for orientating them in Madrid and with their projects. Please note that Residents complete a self-directed project; the Orientation Coordinator does not complete the project on behalf of the Resident; his or her job is to orient the Resident. The Orientation Coordinator is bilingual (English and Spanish).
6. PHOTO BOOK OF THE RESIDENCY PROJECT. For each Resident, ROOSTERGNN will conduct a photo shoot with a professional photographer, so that Residents have a photo book of their projects.
7. PROFESSIONAL HEADSHOT PHOTOSHOOT. In addition to the photo book of the Residency project, the professional photographer will take professional headshots for the Residents that they can use for their future career, websites, Linkedin profiles, social media networks, etc.
8. PUBLICATION AND PROMOTION ON RGNN.ORG. The projects and/or interviews with Residents moreover can be published by the agency, RGNN.org, as well as on its diverse communication channels and social media networks, allowing Residents to publish and promote their work to a global audience.
Applications are for the following dates:
Monday, July 2, 2018 to Sunday, July 15, 2018. LIMITED SPOTS AVAILABLE.
- 3,000 Euros.
Need-based scholarships of 500 Euros available through our benefactor, please apply here: https://rgnn.org/residency/scholarships.
Payment of Residency Fee.
Residency Fees should be paid via bank transfer or cash deposit into a bank account that will be provided to selected candidates.
Once accepted by ROOSTERGNN, candidates will have seventy-two (72) business hours to make a five-hundred (500) Euro deposit for the Residency. The rest of the Residency Fee will be due ten (10) business days after having paid the deposit, always before the start date of the Residency.
To apply for a spot, please fill out the following form:
The ROOSTERGNN Residency Programs are governed by the rules of convocation, in their latest published version, and are under the protection of the legislation in force in the Kingdom of Spain. ROOSTERGNN will be able to make photographs, videos and interviews during the celebration of the Programs and make use of this material in its websites, social networks and promotions in general. With the formalization of the Residency Fee, the Residents authorize ROOSTERGNN such use and expressly agree to comply with this Legal Framework.
Residency Fees, including deposits, are non-refundable and non-transferable. In any case, the Residency Fees must be paid in full before the start date of the Program.
It is the responsibility of the Residents to deliver to ROOSTERGNN documentation that is accurate and true, and within the required deadlines. ROOSTERGNN reserves the right to terminate the Residency of those Residents who do not respect the norms, the ideology of the Program or the staff in charge. Under no circumstances will the Residency Fee be refunded.
ROOSTERGNN reserves the right to adapt the content of the Programs according to the needs of the agency, the availability of experts and local contingencies. In case of postponement or suspension of a program due to force majeure, “vis major” or unpredictable acts, and provided that said Program can not be recalled within a period of twelve months, the liability of ROOSTERGNN is limited exclusively to the refund of the full amount of the Residency Fee received, the reimbursement will be made through a similar way to the one used when the payment was made.
Any activity not included in the program that the students carry out at their own risk will be their sole responsibility.
ROOSTERGNN Residency is legally represented by BREX URBAN SL, company of Spanish nationality, with CIF .: ESB85231850 and domicile in Madrid 28006, street Juan Bravo 58-60. At this point the Residents and Collaborators in general are informed that their personal data will be integrated into electronic files managed by the administrative area of the company. For the purpose of complying with the legislation on personal data protection, Organic Law 15/1999, of 13 December, electronic mail email@example.com is authorized for communications related to the modification or rectification of data covered by said law.
Important note: the Residency Fees indicated in the program are the total amount, in Euros, to be received by ROOSTERGNN. It is the responsibility of the Resident to find out if his or her own bank is going to charge commissions and expenses for transfers, and if so, assume such expenses.
This document cancels any other previously submitted or published.
Note. In the event that ROOSTERGNN has provided you with a translation of the Spanish version of this document, you accept that such a translation is provided solely for your convenience, and in your relationship with ROOSTERGNN, the Spanish version of this document prevails in any case.
Updated January 23, 2018.